VA Education Benefits

The Office of the Registrar is ready to assist active duty service members, veterans, and their eligible dependents and spouses in obtaining their educational benefits and act as a liaison to the regional VA office to process enrollment certification. A student must be admitted to the college and registered for courses in a degree-seeking program in order to be certified for veterans educational benefits.

Contact Information

Certification Information

Christopher Graham
Vice President of Academic Affairs/VA Certifying Official

Phone: 214.818.1390
Fax: 214.370.0497

Financial Information

Donna Ward
Administrator of Student Accounts

Phone: 214.818.1315
Fax: 214.370.0497

Admission Requirements

In addition to the admission requirements, students receiving military benefits are required to submit the following documents: (1) CCAF and/or Joint Military Transcript; (2) DD-214; (3) all official transcripts; (4) VA Form 28-1905 (chapter 31 only), and (5) Certificate of Eligibility.

Credit for Previous Training

All previous education and training must be provided to the school for review. This includes all credits from postsecondary institutions and military credits. Students receiving VA educational Benefits cannot opt out of providing prior credit for review.


Students must submit a Request for Certification form each semester or term for which they wish to receive benefits. 

Program Length and Course Approval

All degree programs are approved for a specific number of credit hours. Eligible veterans will not be certified to VA or paid by VA for courses past the approved length. VA will only pay for required courses in an approved program. Veterans will be required to pay out-of-pocket for courses not required by their program. VA has special requirements regarding payment for repeated courses. Please contact the VA Certifying Official with questions.

Satisfactory Progress and Standards of Progress

All veteran students receiving benefits under all VA programs must comply with the academic and conduct standards of Criswell College, as well as those of the Department of Veterans Affairs, in order to maintain satisfactory progress in the pursuit of the approved program of choice. Students who fail to maintain satisfactory progress are not permitted to continue in their program and will not be eligible to receive benefits. Veteran students who experience difficulty in a course should contact the professor as early as possible in the semester. If the professor believes that tutorial assistance will benefit the student, then recommendations will be made for suitable assistance times. Criswell College does not have paid tutors, nor is reimbursement offered to veterans who attain outside tutoring services. Receipt of veteran educational benefits typically disqualifies a student from receiving other student aid or benefits; however, the student must meet the qualifications of the other programs.

Veterans Benefit Programs

Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty: Provides benefits for veterans with at least twenty-four months of service after June 30, 1985, with an honorable discharge who elected the $100 deduction in monthly pay for those educational benefits; also certain veterans with Chapter 34 eligibility left beyond December 31, 1989, who remained on active duty after June 30, 1985.

Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation (Public Law 894): Title 38, U.S. Code, provides educational benefits to veterans, who as a result of a service-connected disability require retraining or other vocational rehabilitation, may be entitled to educational assistance.

Chapter 32 Post-Vietnam Era Veterans: Provides educational benefits to veterans who satisfy eligibility (1) if they established a contributory fund during active duty, with the VA and Department of Defense matching the funds 2-1, or (2) by use of a test or pilot program based on Public Law 96-342, Section 901 or 903, which was offered to some veterans who entered the service between November 1980-1981. Any person presently on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States who has served on active duty for at least 181 days may be eligible for educational benefits.

Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill: A new education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001.

Chapter 35 Survivors/Dependents Education Assistance (Public Law 634): Title 38, U.S. Code, provides educational assistance to sons, daughters, and the spouse of a veteran who (1) died of a service-connected disability, (2) is 100% disabled as the result of a service-connected disability, or (3) while on active duty was killed in action (KIA), or had been listed for a total of more than 90 days as missing in action (MIA) or as a prisoner of war (POW).

Chapter 1606 The Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve: Provides educational benefits for members of the Selected Reserve. Applicants must have a six-year obligation and must remain in good standing with a Reserve unit.

Hinson-Hazlewood Act: Criswell College is not a public institution and therefore is not eligible for participation in this Texas program. For more information about the Hazlewood Act please click here.


Veterans Online Application

US Department of Veteran Affairs

VA Benefits Information

Criswell College admits students who are Christians of good character, without regard or reference to race, national or ethnic origin, color, age, disability, or sex (except where regard to sex is required by the College’s religious tenets regarding gender and sexuality) to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of these classifications in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and other school-administered programs.