The Tutoring Center is a place where students of all abilities are invited to participate in a comfortable and collaborative environment in which they can improve their skills and confidence. Tutoring practices integrate both what and how to study, fostering independent learning and the development of academic skills that span all courses. In addition to writing assistance for all enrolled students, the center offers one-on-one tutoring for several required undergraduate courses. Students will receive periodic emails notifying them of upcoming tutoring offerings.
Hours of Operation and Appointments
The Tutoring Center is available Monday through Friday during the Fall and Spring semesters. Each semester the hours of operation change due to staffing and class schedules.
To consult with a tutor, students can visit the Tutoring Center, located on the second floor in room E203, or schedule an appointment by emailing email@example.com or contacting the Student Success Specialist at 214.818.1320.
Tutors and Resources
The tutors are current or former Criswell students who are among the top of their class and have demonstrated superior writing skills and expertise in their respective area of study. The Center also collaborates with professors to provide a comprehensive and consistent educational experience. Tutors have been recommended by faculty in their subject area and complete required areas of tutor training to ensure that they are highly qualified to serve our student body. A collection of reference works and popular books are also available to you at the tutoring center. For the Criswell College Manual of Style, click here. For video tutorials providing Tutoring Center guidance on writing and other needs, click here.
What to Expect
The Tutoring Center provides consultation for grammar, punctuation, formatting, organization, citations, and various other writing-related concerns. A tutor will sit with you and address your concerns for any writing assignment, including research papers, essays, book reviews, short stories or poetry. The normal session length is 45 minutes. There is no minimum time. However, depending on the availability of tutors and the number of students signed up for that day, sessions may go longer than 45 minutes if the tutor agrees to continue.
Tutoring Session Tips
- Come prepared: If you need help with a particular assignment, bring a printed copy of the work you have done as well as any materials or guidelines the professor has given related to the assignment.
- Make your appointment long before the assignment is due rather than waiting until a few days before the due date.
- Assignments are to be improved in consultation, either in person or online, so papers cannot be dropped off and picked up later.
- When seeking help with a bibliography, type out a first draft rather than come with a stack of books or fragments of information from the internet.
- Be sure you bring in the assignment information the professor has given so that your tutor can help you meet course expectations.