Menu

Two-time Mr. Football, turned minister plans new church in Hermitage

Staff

Written By Nicole Young

The Tennessean

Copyright 2011

 

In 20 years, Lorenza “Scooter” Edwards has gone from star football player at Donelson Christian Academy to minister, working to plant a new church there.

“Our theme at the school is to know Christ and to make him known,” said Dennis Goodwin, athletic director at DCA and Edwards’ old coach. “He has a similar mission, and he is one of our native sons, so we want him to be successful.

“There’s an added sense of participation for us because of his involvement in our school.”

Edwards’ “Merge Church,” so named for its multicultural roots, is designed to reach out to all people, no matter their class, race or background, said Edwards, who moved back to Hermitage from Dallas in August with his wife, Yomica, and their three children, ages 5, 3 and 2.

“Our goal is to merge everyone together to head in the same direction for the glory of God,” Edwards said. “The Church at Antioch (in the Bible) was diverse in every facet. When we get to heaven, there won’t be a black section, a white section or a Hispanic section. Everyone will be together in the Kingdom of God.

“That’s how we want this church to be.”

With Goodwin’s help, Edwards has been on a mission at DCA. He’s put together informational booths at sporting events to let people know what he’s trying to do.

The first of three preview services is planned for Jan. 16 in the school’s cafeteria, and the church’s official launch date is set for April 24.

So far, there is a core membership of about 20 people, Edwards said, but he hopes to launch big.

“Only 20 percent of this community is active in church, so that leaves 80 percent who don’t have a church home,” he said. “We are trying to reach them. The preview services are kind of like a sneak peek at a movie. This is what we’re going to be like.

“We want you to feel like you belong. We want to love on you and make you feel welcome.”

In 1991, Edwards graduated from DCA as the school’s star tailback. He became the state’s fifth-leading rusher with 6,553 career yards from 1986-90, and he was named winner of the Class A Mr. Football award in 1989 and 1990.

Read more news from Criswell

Criswell College Family & Friends Gather for Inauguration of Barry Creamer, Board Elects New Faculty
by Brandon Smith

DALLAS – Criswell College family and friends gathered on October 2, 2014 for the inauguration of Barry K. Creamer, elected as the seventh president of Criswell College on July 7.

The inauguration was part of a special chapel service that...
read more »

Criswell College Announces Five-Year High in Enrollment
by Brandon Smith

 

DALLAS - Criswell College is pleased to announce a five-year high in enrollment for the Fall 2014 semester.

Total enrollment for undergraduate and graduate students stands at 350, an 8% increase from 2013. These 350 students are...
read more »

Dr. Barry Creamer, Criswell College Alumni Named Research Fellows of ERLC
by Brandon Smith

NASHVILLE – The Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission announced today the relaunch of the ERLC Research Institute, naming Criswell President Dr. Barry Creamer as a Research Fellow. He will join other Southern Baptist leaders including...
read more »