Kirk Lee Spencer
Assistant Professor of Science & History
- 2007 Summer Field Study in Archaeology, Zippori Excavations, Hebrew University
- 2006 Summer Field Study in Archaeology, Qumran Plateau Project, Dr. Randall Price Winter
- 1990-1996 Ph.D. Studies in Humanities, The University of Texas at Dallas
- 1987-1989 Doctoral Studies in Science, Southern Methodist University
- 1987 Summer Field Study in Archaeology, Tel Yoqneam, Yoqneam Project, Hebrew University
- 1983-1987 M.S., Geology, Southern Methodist University
- 1983 Summer Field Study in Geology, Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado, University of Texas
- 1981-1983 B.S., Geology, (Honors) University of Texas at Austin
- 1978-1980 Lee College, A.A., Geology
- 1985-Present Assistant Professor of Science and History, Criswell College, Dallas, TX
- 2000-Summer Field Study in Sociology, Manila, Philippines, Greenhills Christian Fellowship/Criswell College
- 1998-1999 Adjunct Professor of Science, Dallas Christian College, Dallas, TX
- 1994 -1996 Seminary Extension Instructor in History at the Federal Corrections Institute in Seagoville, TX
- 1984-1985 Director of Student Laboratories, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX
- 1983-1984 Teaching Assistant in Geology, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX
- 1979-1980 Teaching Assistant in Geology, Lee College, Baytown TX
- Typology charts of Bronze Age Aegean Swords in Dan Howard, “Bronze Age Military Equipment,” Pen and Sword Books Ltd. 2011.
- Seax Classification Charts in Paul Mortimer, “Woden’s Warriors: Warfare, Beliefs, Arms and Armour in Northern Europe in 6th-7thh Centuries,” 2011.
- "Living Position and Functional Morphology of Illymatogyra arietina as an Adaptation to a Changing Substrate, Del Rio Formation, Central Texas" a paper delivered to the geology department at UT Austin. Collections and Reports are on file in the Paleoecology lab, University of Texas at Austin.
- "The Paleoecology of Faunas Associated with Fan-Delta Systems in the Pennsylvanian Taos Trough, Taos County, New Mexico" (Master's Thesis, reported to geology department at SMU, collections Heroy Archives SMU).
- "Stratigraphic Traps in Pennsylvanian Sand Bodies on the Eastern Shelf and Concho Platform" (Major assignment as geologist for Lomak Petroleum, maps and documents in the prospect files of Lomak Petroleum Michigan).
- Contributor to The Believer's Study Bible (study notes on Genesis and Psalms), Thomas Nelson, 1995.
- "Creation: Fact or Fiction" Article for Essential Connection Magazine, January 1996 (republished in SBC Sunday School Board (now LifeWay) youth curriculum.
- "A Study on Studying: What Every Student Should Know" Criswell Press and Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary; Internet Publication, 1998.
- Faith and Culture Seminar, Bethel Baptist Church, Kansas, 2003
- World Religions Seminar, Fellowship Baptist Church, Forney Texas, 2003
- Diversity Seminar for Dallas Community College Administrators and Staff, 2002
Itinerant Lecture Series:
"The Interface Between Science and Theology"
"The Life of Christ in Biblical Archaeology"
"The Life of Paul in Biblical Archaeology"
"An Archaeological Tour of Ancient Israel
- Reviews of books on science, technology and theories of creation published in the Criswell Theological Review
- Reviews of movies with messianic elements published in the student newspaper and Internet
- Review articles on Viking and Renaissance swords http://www.myarmoury.com/review_cerv_vik.html
Author of 5 articles (threads) voted as spotlight topics and hundreds of posts
Hundreds of posts on Sword Forum International (swordforum.com)
- Regular contributor
Unpublished Manuscripts and Writing Projects
- "The Mindelheim Sword." An article on the earliest swords of iron and their functional morphology as a cavalry weapon. Finished and waiting publication at Bronze Age Craft Website: http://www.bronze-age-craft.com.
"Ancient of Days: An Orientation in the Ancient World"
Background work for Old Testament Studies from an Archaeological and Textual Perspective.
"The Word Make Flesh: An Orientation in the Roman World"
Background work for New Testament Studies from an Archaeological and Textual Perspective.
"Heaven and Earth: An Orientation in the Natural Sciences"
Space Science, Earth Science and Life Science with a summary of theological positions relative to modern science
"World Religions and the Christian Message"
A summary work of major religions and denominations set within the context of the message of Scripture.
"Moving Pictures: A Brief History of Cinematic Theology"
A textbook written for the course HUM 405 Cinematic Theology. It reviews the development of cinema within the changing social landscape and critiques the theological messages contained within many of the movies made at the end of the 20th century.
"Science and Theology: A Compendium"
Summary of the debate along the interface between science and theology
"This Life as Loves"
Poetry about ordinary life (poems published in anthologies and the internet)
Other poems related to post-modern life, philosophy and theology
Significant Activities of Service
To the College
- Liaison between student government and administration
- Continuous Ex Officio member of Student Development and Graduation Committee
- Certifying Official for the Veterans Administration, Criswell College
- Interim Dean of Students
- Criswell College's director of Students in cooperation with the Hebrew University of Jerusalem,
- Zippori Excavations, Zippori, Israel, Summer 2007
- Assistant Director of Student Excavations in cooperation with Dr. Randall Price
- Qumran Plateau Excavations, Qumran, Israel, Summer, Winter 2006
- Director of Student Excavations in cooperation with the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Yoqneam Project
- in the Jezreel Valley, Israel, 1986-1987
- Interim General Education Department Chair
- Campus design committee for Gaston Avenue campus remodel
- Landscape design of cloister garden
- Chairman of QEP Leadership Team
To the Community
- Ongoing community service such as meals, yard work, carpentry etc. to underprivileged in the community through Adult Bible Fellowships (ABF) of local church Mimosa Lane Baptist Church
- Bible Teacher, Mimosa Lane Baptist Church in Mesquite
- Biblical Archaeology
- Ancient Near Eastern History and Culture
- General Western Civilization
- Greco-Roman Culture
- Historical and Physical Geology
- Philosophy and History of Science
- Theories of Creation
- Faith and Culture
- Distinguished Scholar, Lee College
- Who's Who Among Jr. College Students
- Dean's List, University of Texas
- Scholarship in Geology, Amoco Oil Corporation
- Scholarship in Geology, Department of Geological Sciences, University of Texas
- Research Grant in Geology, New Mexico Bureau of Mines and Mineral Resources
- Scholarship in Geology, American Association of Petroleum Geologists
- Scholarship in Geology, Institute for the Study of Earth and Man
- Professor of the Year 1997
- Poet of Merit 2001, International Society of Poets