Professor of Hebrew & Old Testament and Book Reviews Editor of the Criswell Theological Review
2000 Ph.D. (Old Testament and Hebrew), Dallas Theological Seminary
Dissertation: "The Ideological Relationship Between Old Testament Law and Proverbs"
1988 Th.M. (Old Testament), Temple Baptist Seminary
Thesis: "An Exegetical Theology of Common Work in the Pentateuch"
1983 M.Div. (New Testament), Temple Baptist Seminary
- 1976 B.A. (History), University of Pennsylvania
- 2004-present Professor of Hebrew and Old Testament, Criswell College
- 2000-2004 Assistant Professor of Hebrew and Old Testament, Criswell College
- 2008-present Adjunct Professor of Old Testament, Liberty Baptist Seminary, Distance Learning Program
- 2000-2004 Associate Professor of Hebrew and Old Testament, Criswell College
- 2003-2004 Adjunct Professor of Hebrew, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (Dallas extension)
- 1999-2000 Visiting Professor of Hebrew and Old Testament, Criswell College
- 1995-1998, 2003-2008 Adjunct Professor of Hebrew, Dallas Theological Seminary
- 1994-1996 Proctor of Old Testament, Institute of Theological Studies (consortium of seminaries)
- 1992-1999 Adjunct Professor of Hebrew and Old Testament, Criswell College
- 1984-1990 Assistant Professor of Old Testament and Hebrew, Temple Baptist Seminary
- 1983-1984 Graduate Assistant in Old Testament and Hebrew, Temple Baptist Seminary
- Editor of Larry Waters, The New Testament Story: Preparing to Tell God's Story of Redemption-Part 2. Harrisburg, PA: Association of Baptists for World Evangelism, 2007.
- The Old Testament Story: Preparing to Tell God's Story of Redemption-Part 1. Harrisburg, PA: Association of Baptists for World Evangelism, 2006.
- "Numbers," The Bible Knowledge Key Word Study: Old Testament: Genesis-Deuteronomy, pages 335-440. Edited by Eugene H. Merrill. Colorado Springs, CO: Cook Communications, Victor Books, 2003.
- Assisted in editing James D. Price, The Syntax of Masoretic Accents in the Hebrew Bible. Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellin, 1990.
- Foreword in James D. Price, Optimal Equivalence: A Theory for Bible Translation. Lewiston: Edwin Mellen, forthcoming in 2007.
- "The Roots of Faith--Old Testament: Commentary." Harrisburg, PA: Goodsoil Evangelism and Discipleship, 2012.
- Book review of Russell T. Fuller and Kyoungwon Choi's Invitation to Biblical Hebrew: A Beginning Grammar. Invitation to Theological Studies Series. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel Academic and Professional, 2006; in Criswell Theological Review NS 6, no. 1 (Fall 2008).
- "The Complementary Relationship Between Proverbs and Moses' Law," Criswell Theological Review NS 5, no. 1 (Fall 2007): 3-32.
- Book review of John D. Currid's A Study Commentary on Genesis: Volume 2: Gen 25:19-50:26. Darlington, England: Evangelical, 2003; in Criswell Theological Review NS 2, no. 1 (Fall 2004): 111-13.
- Book review of A. Dotan's The Parallel Bible: Hebrew-English Old Testament. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 2003; in Criswell Theological Review NS 1, no. 2 (Spring 2004): 250-52
Significant Activities of Service
To the College and seminary:
- 2004-Present Book review editor, Criswell Theological Review
- 2003-2004 Member of Academic Cabinet, Criswell College
- February 2002 Cross-cultural teaching: extension class in Manila, Philippines
- 2000-2006 Member of Faculty Development Committee (Chair since 2004)
- 1999-2004 Coordinator for College faculty teaching in Zaparoshe Bible Institute with Jim Mugg Global Outreach
- 1997-2002 Editor for W. A. Criswell Legacy Project for e-publishing at http://www.wacriswell.com
- 1988-1990 Managing editor: 1988-1990 Temple Baptist Seminary 1989-1993 Catalogue
- 1987-1990 Initiated Temple Seminary Book Awards program with over 20 publishers to promote student scholarship
- 1985-1990 Managing editor: Temple Baptist Seminary periodical, The Mantle
To International Seminaries and Bible Institutes:
- Roots of Faith--Old Testament Seminar, Manila, Philippines, August 2014.
- 2004 Visiting Lecturer in Old Testament, Beltsi Bible Institute (Jim Mugg Global Outreach), Beltsi, Moldova, teaching OT Survey 2 (Job-Malachi)
- 1998, 2000, 2003, Visiting Lecturer in Old Testament, Zaparozhye Bible Institute of the Baptist Union, Zaparozhye, Ukraine
- June-August 2003 Visiting Professor of Hebrew and Old Testament, International School of Theology-Asia (now International Graduate School of Leadership), Manila, Philippines, teaching OT 615: O.T. Poetic Books and OT 621/715: Hebrew Exegesis of Deuteronomy
- May 1997 Visiting Lecturer in Old Testament, Moscow Bible Institute of the Russian Baptist Union (with Jim Mugg Global Outreach), Moscow, Russia
To the church/community:
- 1994-Present Adult Sunday School (The Builder's Class), First Baptist Church, Dallas, TX
- 1989-1990 Couples Sunday School, Heritage Baptist Church, Chattanooga, TN
- 1983-1985 Singles Ministry Bible Studies, Heritage Baptist
- 1980-1983 Adult Sunday School, Mt. Olive Baptist Church, Dayton, TN
- 1977-1979 College and Career Sunday School, Emmanuel Baptist Church, Williamsport, PA
- 1967-1971 Good News Clubs, Child Evangelism Fellowship, Mansfield, PA
- 1969-1970 Summer Missionary, Child Evangelism Fellowship, Susquehanna and Tioga Counties, PA
- Association of Baptists for World Evangelization, Harrisburg, PA, Old Testament biblical training materials
- 2003-2005, 2007-2010, 2012-Present Ordination and Licensing Ministry Team, First Baptist, Dallas, (Chairman, 2008-2010; Vice-chairman, 2007-2008)
- 1986-1989 Deacon, Heritage Baptist Church, (Chairman 1987-89)
- 1983-1985 Director, Singles Ministry, Heritage Baptist Church
- 1980-1983 Worship Leader, Mt. Olive Baptist Church
- First-year Biblical Hebrew
- Hebrew Reading
- Old Testament Survey
- Old Testament Exposition
- O.T. Intensives (individual book studies): Genesis, Deuteronomy, Judges-Ruth, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Isaiah
- First-year Biblical Hebrew
- Hebrew Exegetical Method
- Hebrew Exegesis of individual books: Job, Proverbs
- Hebrew Reading
- Old Testament Introduction
- O.T. Criticism
- O.T. Intensives on individual books: Genesis, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Judges-Ruth, Job, Proverbs, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel
- O.T. Poetic Books
- O.T. Prophetic Books
- New Testament Survey
- 2006-2007 Criswell College: Sabbatical
- 1992 Who's Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges
- 1987 Teacher of the Year, Temple Baptist Seminary
- Evangelical Theological Society (Nominating Committee for Southwest Region, 2003)
- Institute for Biblical Research