GPA and THEA Requirements
Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.75 to be admitted to the Educator Preparation Program. Following admission, a student must continue to maintain a GPA of 2.75 in order to be eligible to student teach, test for certification, graduate from the program, and be recommended by the Educator Preparation Program for the Texas Teacher Certification.
Applicants may be required take the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) exam and receive a passing score in the Reading, Writing, and Math sections in order to interview for admission into the Educator Preparation Program. Transfer students from a Texas public institution of higher education may submit passing scores on the three same sections of the TSI exam.
Admission to the Educator Preparation Program is contingent on meeting the following requirements:
- The student must have completed and passed a minimum of 60 credit hours of college course work. A cumulative GPA of 2.75 will be required at the time of the admission interview (see #4 below).
- The student may be required to submit passing scores for all three sections of the TSI exam.
When the above criteria are met, the student proceeds to the final steps in the admission process:
- The student must officially apply for admission to the program by completing and submitting the Criswell College Application for Education Program Admission form. A copy of the student’s THEA or ACCUPLACER test scores and an unofficial transcript(s) must be attached to the form.
- The student must complete the admission interview with the Criswell College Education Committee and earn a passing score as stated on the standard scoring rubric used for the Educator Preparation Program admission interview. The student must have a cumulative GPA of 2.75 at the time of his or her admission interview.
- The student must receive an official Acceptance Letter from the Director of the Criswell College Educator Preparation Program.
- The student must acknowledge receipt of the official Acceptance Letter by signing the Candidate Acceptance Confirmation Form and submitting it to the Director of the Educator Preparation Program within ten business days.
In addition to meeting the admission requirements for the Educator Preparation Program, if a student is an out-of-country applicant “whose first language is not English, he or she must demonstrate competence in the English language by submission of a minimum score on the computer-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). In addition, the applicant must have his or her transcripts from an out-of-country non-English speaking university evaluated by an approved evaluation service” [Texas Administrative Code (TAC) §227.10(7)].
The International Student Application Process of Criswell College requires that “an international student submit an official TOEFL score…with a minimum iBT (internet based TOEFL) test score of 80. Additionally, to be admitted to the Educator Preparation Program, a candidate must have a minimum score of 26 on the speaking portion of the TOEFL. ‘Full admission’ may also be granted for those students who graduated from a U.S. institution. Regardless of ‘admission status’ all prospective students with F-1 student visas are required to complete ENG 090 Developmental English upon arrival” (Criswell College Catalog).
The TOEFL test scores and college transcripts must be submitted and the ENG 090 course must be completed before the student can officially apply for admission to the Educator Preparation Program.
Dismissal From the Educator Preparation Program
The following circumstances may warrant a candidate’s dismissal from the Criswell College Educator Preparation Program:
- A violation of the Criswell College Code of Conduct, as stated in the Criswell College Student Handbook, which leads to dismissal from the institution.
- Maintaining a cumulative GPA below 2.75 despite remediation efforts by the student, professors, or Educator Preparation Program.
- A failed Student Teaching experience as described in the Student Teaching Handbook.
- Failure to pass a criminal background check (see Field Experience Requirements).
Each case will be addressed on an individual basis in adherence to the Criswell College Due Process Policy, which is located in the Student Handbook.